Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still untapped possibilities within us and new beauty waiting to be born.

-Dale Turner-

Saturday 30 November 2013

Life now

We are not the people we think we are and we don't realize it until we have comitted acts we never thought ourselves capable of. I had never really given much thought to the kind of person i am; i mean, i always knew who i was but i never really cared, just like i never cared about what other people thought of me. Given the fact that i grew up in the small, suffocating society of a city whose greatest accomplishment to the Greek economy was the supply of tobacco and that was just until it was deemed illegal, i say that was quite a thing. That's probably the reason nobody likes me in that town and also why i have limited my visits as much as i possibly can (i.e. xmas and easter holidays, just to see my family).

I still don't understand what it is about my nation that makes us act. I'm fortunate enough to have a family who doesn't particularly care whether i work or not but what about my friends, the people of my age who don't have the luxuries i enjoy? Unemployment hit 60% for the youths between 20 and 25, people who spent years studying, just like i did. What are they supposed to do?

I often asked myself: why don't we read the papers anymore? It's not because we don't care and it's certainly not because they promise depression and a headache (which they do btw). Let's be fair, we don't know who to believe and we don't know who to trust anymore. Most of us, grew up in families, sheltered from the outside world. i've been living on my own since i was 17; that was when i entered college and that was my first contact with the real world. Trust me, it wasn't good. Things in Greece are definitely not like the adds on TV. People are rude and depression has only made things worse for us. I'm proud of my heritage but it saddens me when i see what we have been reduced to. Winter is upon us, most families won't buy petrol for their homes, people are dying in the streets; i see them everyday, when i go to work, looking in the rubbish bins for some left overs. This whole situation we're trapped in is disgusting and what are we supposed to do? Run? Flee our country and find work in some place that's less screwed up? Leave Greece until it's populated entirely by old people? That's just great!

I'm leaving next year but my friends are not. Who's going to save them?

0 comments:

Post a Comment